Saturday, February 6, 2010

Snow

So I woke up this morning to a text message from a coworker that read:
"Call the boss and get us off of work today...can't get out of my driveway."
How did I get tasked with this one? Because I know all the good sites to go to, apparently. For local stuff, I use a combo of the radio stations and local news stations, paired with www.weather.gov and the weather channel, to make a fairly decent prediction of what the weather is going to do and how local government is going to respond.

I got good at this during high school, when I would sit by a scanner and a CB and try to figure out if they were closing school so I could go do stupid stuff all day. Now I sit by a cell phone and a laptop, doing the same thing for work. It's ridiculous. I'm like a little kid, waiting for that snow day call all over again. I've made various calls already for work, and it's looking like I'll have to take the big blue truck on in. I'm not real happy about it, but hey, that's life in Ohio.

I'm not a big risk-taker, though. I did a favor for one of my mom's employee's last year, and ended up in a ditch. I'm not a big fan of ditches, for any reason. I don't like my truck in them, I don't like the one in my front yard, and I definitely don't like the thought of being in them at any point. That's why I bought the big blue truck, because my old Jeep Wagoneer was an off road marvel, but it just didn't have the creature comforts I wanted. A good vehicle, yes, but definitely underpowered. Big blue is my baby, though. I've got it loaded with all the hillbilly delights...a toolbox for my nonexistant tools, a nice sound system with Sirius so I can play country music all day long, big tires and the off road package to prevent me from being stuck in ditches less than three feet deep, and of course, lots of shiny chrome and big lights. It's a good truck, and in a couple years, it'll be paid off!

That's another thing I do love...paying things off. I've always been a fan of being able to pay cash for stuff, that's why I love Craigslist. Because I can buy anything on Craigslist and be able to afford it in cash. It may be gently used, but hell, I don't care that much. So far, Craigslist has provided me with a lawnmower, a stove, a refrigerator, some opportunities to sell guns, and of course, a place to sell the jeep and the big red truck. I love me some Craigslist.

I guess wrapping this thing up is the best option at this point, as I'm sure it's going to take some work to get to work--UGH. The wireless industry typically is not set up for days like this. It'll be a long one, that's for darned sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment