So here it is, that magical time of the year again--Tax time. For some, a miserable period of time from January through April when every asshat with an income descends on your office with a W-2 and a hankerin' to spend him some good old fashioned cash. For others, tax time is looked at with fear and loathing. Walking into the accountants office to hand over your hard earned cash to the government, because they just didn't take enough out all year. I'm in an interesting situation this year, as I'm waiting on my amended return from LAST year, and I'm waiting on my return from THIS year, both of which should show up sometime around Valentine's Day. Hopefully they show up before property taxes are due, or else I could be in some deeeeeep shiiittt.
I owe this wonderful county 1600 bucks for property taxes, and didn't even think about that until just three short days ago. Half is due Feb. 22, the rest by July something-teenth. -shrug- I'll figure that out later, as I'm currently fighting the county over what this house is worth. I've got a good lawyer on that one, but it's a pain in the ass fighting local government over money they don't deserve. Hopefully my first-time homebuyers credit shows up soon, as I'm already prepared to spend all of that rather quickly. I need tires, a tv, a washer and dryer, and some other stuff for this big, empty house.
It's strange living as a bachelor, because for the first time in my life, I'm responsible for something big. I have to go to work, to pay the bills, to buy the food, and to make the payments so I can go back to work the next day. What a shitty cycle. In addition, I was going to take part of my tax refund, if it was big enough, and buy me a new toy. Either a lawnmower or an AR-15. Turns out it's about a third of what H&R block predicted online (which I admit, may be a flawed system), so it looks like tires it is. Maybe I'll give myself something pretty for Labor Day this year, since that always seems to be about the point where I start actually making money through the year. Hopefully, I can just keep my job, keep my head up, and keep on keepin' on.
On a strangely unrelated note, I can't wait to have kids so I can spend money on stupid shit again and say "but it's for the kids". On a further note there, I think I need to get back on the dating scene. It's a poor market, here in this one horse town, but nonetheless, after last year's dating disaster, it can only go up from there.
In a few weeks, once it warms up, I'm scheduled to ride along with one of my favorite crews, the Mansfield Police Department 3'rd shift. Those guys are hilarious, and a real joy to be around, to boot. I really enjoy riding with Andy and meeting some of the wonderful people Mansfield has to offer. Last time I rode along, I was mistaken for a chaplain, a DEA agent, a reporter, and a swat team member. Oh what fun it is to be so much to so many. Hopefully this time will be even more fun.
I really ought to get to bed, as I'm sure that even with blizzard conditions tomorrow, I'll have to be at work bright and early. They already closed down all the schools for tomorrow, so I don't get why I have to go to work. It's just ridiculous how responsible I have to be. Hopefully, I get a snow day too, in order to recuperate the right way.
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment